I thought when I left for India, I began a leave of absence from my job as a nurse practitioner. The first time I held Maggie, I could feel that she was wheezing. After hours of worrying and wondering what to do-- I did the next best thing--I emailed our social worker--Eileen, in Boston, MA. I received a daunting reply--you are Maggie's legal guardian. Thom, Maggie, one of Maggie's care takers, and myself went to a pediatrician(see picture below)--we travelled on a dirt road with a few cows meandering in the road and arrived at the doctor's office.
I think he has a medical degree?
I did not think he was a Blue Cross/ Blue Shield provider, so we payed the bill--all is well the total bill was 60 Rupees ( $ 1.10). The physician handed us a piece of paper with the list of medications that Maggie needed. Then we were off to the pharmacy(see picture below).
We had to visit five different pharmacies before we had all of the medications--one pharmacy was able to fill one half of one of the prescriptions. The medications came to a grand total of $16.20. We hope Maggie will improve before our flight to Delhi on Friday. We are quickly learning that despite the noise and chaos somehow India functions?? Overall it was good to see Maggie today.
Tomorrow is our big day: We will take custody of Maggie and hope it won't be too traumatic for her.
Tomorrow is our big day: We will take custody of Maggie and hope it won't be too traumatic for her.
(a backstory to this entry is : I was raised in an orphanage for boys in Mumbai for six years).
I spent part of the afternoon reading to the kids from an English book. When finished, I had about 15 girls surround me : each stretching their arms high, wanting me to pick them up. I did each for a second ~ They just wanted to be held, from the very youngest to the 7 and 8 years old. I feel the care takers do a good job and observed many of them gently feeding and holding the children. But institutions are not an answer of raising children however safe and clean it is.
Then the kids asked me to play a game : I didn't really understand it completely but the gist of it was ~ "when is daddy going to come and take me?" At that moment, I felt I wanted to take them home : all of them. It was very tough!
We maybe taking one little girl home with us tomorrow but there will be 59 others remaining behind and each would have wanted to be in Maggie's place when the car drives away through the front gates....
Oh dear ... What did he say?
ReplyDeleteI hope it's nothing serious ...
:o) must say the dresscode for doctors in India seems a little different than in Belgium ... indeed if you can't cry you might as well laugh with it.
Hope Maggie will be healthy again soon!
Saskia & Jan
:+)
ReplyDeleteWe agree the dress code was a little shocking!
Mary and Thom
So much emotions during these 2 days. We are glad to see how well this orphanage is even the parents'love can't never be replaced.
ReplyDeleteWe hope that Maggie will be quick healthy. Tomorrow will be the day of your life. We wish you the best and we hope to follow you at SMSS soon.
Jan and Marielle from Belgium
When we picked up our son from the orphanage, one of the staff gave us an inhaler. They told me it was for his "cough". I thought it was strange but figured they knew. It wasn't until one day last summer after catching a cold that it wasn't really a cough but respiratory infection induced asthma. Good thing is with careful diet and the stronger western meds on hand, it can be controlled, reduced and hopefully eliminated. Best wishes for your daughter's recovery.
ReplyDeleteI actually like the laid-back attire of the physician :)
Melissa
Oh, that is hard for me to read, especially knowing that one of those girls is mine waiting for me!...still, we are thrilled that some are going to families and happy to know that Maggie has you! We are sending good thoughts and hoping she feels better very soon..(8 years ago we brought a sick baby home from Hong Kong, a 16 hour flight with a throwing up baby in our arms..so we can feel your pain..ha). Again, we are so thrilled to be following along on your journey...thanks again for posting!
ReplyDeleteMary and Thom,
ReplyDeleteWe are reading your blog every day. We were very moved when we saw Maggie with the pink toy dog.
Have a safe and easy trip home.
Anat and Sergei
We will keep praying that Maggie gets better. I am sure she is going to have a great time with you. Hopefully she will enjoy New Delhi too. For a few days she may miss her friends in the home, but as time goes on she will make new friends.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless!
Whoa. There is a special place for a Doctor like him doing his job in tough conditions like he faces daily. Go Doctor!!
ReplyDeletePaul
How is my neice this morning? Hopefully the meds are making a difference. Thom, visit to the orphanage may have brought back some old memories of times when we were in Our Lady's Home; Orphanage for boys in Mumbai. My heart goes out to the ones left behind.
ReplyDelete